The American Locomotive Company (Alco), despite knowing of Baldwin's
unsuccessful earlier models went ahead and released the T6 in late 1958
still believing that there would be a market for such a locomotive.
Even the Electro-Motive Division, the industry leader since main line
diesels first hit the market in the late 1930s, understood that there
was not a significant market for transfer switchers. The Alco T6
debuted in March, 1958 and as can probably be guessed was most
successful with industries and in mining applications including Brewster
Phospahtes, Kaiser Steel, Portland Terminal Railroad, Newburgh &
South Shore, and the Monongahela Connecting Railroad. However, a few
Class Is also found an interest in the model including the Norfolk &
Western and Pennsylvania railroads purchased the T6. Additionally,
Altos Hornos de Mexico, S.A. also picked up two units.
The Alco T6 (which was designated by the company as its DL440) was
almost identical to the S6 save for its notched number boards, a later
Alco hallmark (particularly for the Century line) that no other model
within the S series featured. The T6 also differed from previous
models in that it was a foot longer at 46 feet, 5 inches and also
featured a slightly taller hood. Aside from these differences the
transfer design was about the same internally; it featured a B-B truck
setup using General Electric
traction motors and generators as well as Westinghouse components.
Interestingly, the locomotive's tractive was a bit less than the S6;
60,000 pounds starting and 46,000 pounds continuous.
|N&W T6 #29 shunts cars around the Norfolk yard during early May of 1971.|
For the 57 examples of Alco T6s built they were apparently well liked,
particularly by the Norfolk & Western, which purchased 40 of them.
The N&W found them especially useful along the extreme eastern
region of their system near the ports of Norfolk, Virginia. There they
were used for years shuffling empty and loaded coal hoppers,
and other relevant freight, around the docks located there. Some of the
units even continued to operate into the early Norfolk Southern years
although all were retired soon
afterwards. Interestingly, despite the few T6s ever built there are
actually numerous examples still operational aside from the one N&W
Alco T6 Production Roster
|Altos Hornos de México, S.A. (Mexico)||126-127||2||1964|
|American Cyanamid Company||16-17||2||1966|
|Chesapeake Western Railway||10-11||2||1959|
|Kaiser Steel Corporation||1022-1023||2||1959|
|Newburgh & South Shore||1016-1017||2||1969|
|Norfolk & Western||12-49||38||1959|
|Portland Terminal (Oregon)||46-47||2||1968|
|N&W T6 #25 rests with other equipment in Suffolk on June 8, 1969.|
These units include Middletown & Hummelstown #1016 is an original
Newburg & South Shore unit; Arkansas & Missouri operates six,
#12, #14, #16, and #18 are original N&W units while #15 and #17 are
of Pennsylvania Railroad lineage; and International Terminals #9624.
From a historical standpoint, the T6 was the final locomotive
ever outshopped by the American Locomotive Company when Newburgh &
South Shore Railroad #1016 and #1017 rolled out of the Schenectady plant
in January, 1969. For more information about the T6 please refer to the chart above for a complete production roster.