Long before there were publicly-funded commuter rail systems, the private freight railroads provided such service in several of the large metropolitan regions around the country. The city of San Francisco, and surrounding Bay Area, was one such location. The historic Southern Pacific blanketed the state of California and served the Bay Area well with lines radiating north (Shasta Route), east (Overland Route), and south (Coast Line and San Joaquin Valley routes) out of area. The current Caltrain system utilizes a section for the former Coast Line. While this famous, 470-mile route which connected San Francisco and Los Angeles is perhaps best remembered for hosting the venerable Daylight streamliners, SP also provided extensive commuter service out of the Bay Area.
The "Peninsula Commute," as it was known, served the 47-mile corridor between San Francisco's gorgeous 3rd & Townsend Depot (since razed) and San Jose, now operated by Caltrain. During the steam era the equipment usually featured standard commuter coaches while power ranged from 4-6-2 Pacifics to 4-8-4 Golden States. However, in the 1950s several changes were implemented; first, steam was replaced by diesels in the form of Fairbanks Morse H24-66 "Train Master" models. These big, burly machines were the most powerful diesels on the market when first introduced in 1953 offering 2,400 horsepower. Most railroads came to dislike the design on the basis of its opposed-piston prime mover but SP found them perfect for commuter service where they offered quick acceleration that was ideal in such applications. The road wound up with fourteen in all (#4802-4815) and they remained in use well into the 1970s.
|F40PH-2 #922 heads southbound as it boards passengers at the station in Santa Clara on October 20, 2005.|
The second upgrade included new bi-level, gallery cars purchased from Pullman-Standard and American Car & Foundry between 1955 and 1968. In all the SP acquired 46 of these cars that offered a modern look and more comfortable accommodations. They were initially painted in a two-tone grey livery but during the 1960s received a more basic all-grey look. Over the years the Train Masters were supplemented by other power from Electro-Motive SD9s and GP9s to FP7s and SDP45s (after 1967). The SP had lost interest in passenger operations dating well back to the early 1960s as its trains were habitually losing money despite the road's best efforts. Not surprisingly, it petitioned the Public Utilities Commission in 1977 to drop commuter service as well. This move was partially granted in 1980 when the California Department of Transportation (Caltrans) moved to subsidize SP's service.
(All-time Caltrain locomotive roster.)
|EMD||GP9||500||1959||Ex-SP #5811, Sold To MPI 2012|
|EMD||GP9||501||1959||Ex-T&NO #453, Sold To MPI 2012|
|EMD||F40PH-2||902-903, 907, 910, 914||1985||Overhauled By Alstom, 1999|
|EMD||F40PH-2CAT||900-901, 904–906, 908-909, 911–913, 915–919||1985-1987||Overhauled By Alstom, 1999|
|EMD||F40PH-2C||920–922||1998||Rebuilt By MotivePower|
However, the state eventually felt it could operate the service
itself. To to so it purchased new equipment, introduced shuttle buses, and
upgraded stations to launch Caltrain in 1985. In 1991 the state
purchased the SP's line from San Francisco to San Jose in an effort to
preserve future commuter service. Soon after, then Caltrain operator
the Peninsula Corridor Joint Powers Board (formed in 1987) contracted
with Amtrak to operate the service while extensions south to Gilroy were
implemented. Over the years Caltrain has witnessed several upgrades
and improvements: in 1995 it became wheelchair-accessible and also added
more room for bicyclists; during 1997 the carrier's classic red-dot logo
was adopted; the summer of 2003 witnessed the new Millbrae Station
opened near the San Francisco International Airport; during 2004 it
launched its Baby Bullet service, also known as Caltrain Express that
provided high-speed, limited-stop runs between San Francisco and San
Jose; and in 2006 WiFi was added (wireless Internet access).
operational change also came in May of 2012 when Amtrak was replaced by
new operator TransitAmerica Services, Inc. owned by Herzog Transit
Systems. The corridor is currently broken down into six different
station zones and Caltrain currently provides dozens of trains running
in each direction on a daily basis. Such extensive operations are required to meet the
needs of this area; as of 2010-2011 Caltrain's annual ridership
(12,574,233) placed it as one of the state's busiest commuter systems
Its current fleet of motive power includes several of Electro-Motive's
F40PH-class passenger models as well as a batch of MP36PH-3C from
MotivePower it acquired in 2006 for the new Baby Bullet service. When
Caltrans first launched it utilized a small fleet of classic GP9s handed
down from Southern Pacific, which remained in use until as late as
2012. Additionally, the rolling stock of commuter coaches includes 93
bi-level gallery cars manufactured by Nippon Sharyo as well as 17
BiLevel coaches built by Bombardier.
|Norfolk & Western Class A #1218 is seen here negotiating the wye at Front Royal, Virginia during May of 1988 as the big steamer prepares a return trip to Alexandria.|