The Montour Railroad was chartered in 1877 by parent Imperial Coal
Company to serve its mines located around Imperial. The first segment
of the system branched off from the P&LE at Montour Junction, just
south of Coraopolis (at the confluence of the Ohio River and Montour Run
this town was also where its main shops were located), and extended
southward to the small town of Imperial, a distance of 9.51 miles
(according to the railroad's timetable). This small segment not only
reached its parent's mine but also served tipples at Scott (owned by the
Montour Collieries Company), Dickson Mine (owned by Pittsburgh Coal
Company, which later owned the MTR), and a short spur near Imperial that
reached Marcon Coal Company's Marshall Mine. For more than 30 years
after this the shortline remained relatively unchanged until the early
20th century when it began to build further south to tap new mines, and
along the way gaining new interchange points.
This growth saw the company more than quadruple in size with construction on the extension beginning in 1912. The line headed south into Washington County until reaching Southview where it veered eastward crossing back into Allegheny County and terminating at Mifflin Junction where it would connect with the Union Railroad and Bessemer & Lake Erie (via trackage rights over the URR). The entire route was open by 1917 and included interchanges with all of Pittsburgh's other major railroads; the Pennsylvania (later Penn Central) at McDonald, Pittsburgh & West Virginia (later Norfolk & Western) at George, PRR again at Hills, West Side Belt Railroad at Salida, and the Baltimore & Ohio (later Chessie System) from a branch reaching Snowden. The Montour's system south of Imperial also had spurs connecting to several mines not located on its main line.
Two were just south of Imperial serving the Solar Mine (Solar Coal Company) and Montour #9 (Pittsburgh Coal) while the latter were located near the P&WV interchange at George: the Midland Spur serving the Morris Mine (Gilmore Coal Company) and Westland Mine (Pittsburgh Coal); and the Muse Branch reaching National #4 owned by the National Mining Company. In total, the Montour Railroad owned 44.89 miles of track along its line between Montour Jct. and Mifflin Jct. according to the company's timetable (however, this does not include its many mine spurs and interchange trackage). While it would grow no larger in terms of mileage it continued to see additional mines come online through the 1930s, which was in no small part due to the fact that several major steel mills were located just a few miles away (others were also nearby in northern West Virginia and northeastern Ohio).
The MTR did offer passenger services but only during its early years. As with most small shortlines serving remote regions there was not much demand by the local populace to take the train, which was certainly the case on the Montour. It finally ended all passenger runs in the mid-1920s along its fifteen station stops. Power on the railroad during the steam era was made up almost exclusively by 2-8-2 Mikados built by the American Locomotive Company (Alco). They began acquiring the steam locomotives just prior to 1920, which worked great on the circuitous MTR and were capable of producing roughly 64,000 pounds of tractive effort. The Mikados remained in use on the railroad until it began replacing them with small EMD switchers, which consisted of an SW7 and 11 SW9s.
The first diesel to arrive on the property was SW7 #72 in November, 1950. This was followed by SW9s #73 through #84 until January, 1953. The MTR found that the small switchers worked well navigating the tight curves and low tunnel clearances while providing comparable power when MU'ed. It was after World War II that the railroad slowly began to decline as mines played out. In 1946 then-parent Pittsburgh Coal sold the line to the PRR and P&LE (itself a subsidiary of the New York Central). This co-ownership arrangement continued for the next 30 years until the PRR/NYC merger, creating Penn Central in 1968. With the mega railroad's bankruptcy a few years later and the P&LE spun-off as an independent, the "new" shortline acquired full ownership of the MTR in 1975. The final blow for the Montour Railroad occurred in 1980 when Consolidation Coal's Montour #4 Mine near Hill was flooded during heavy rains that summer.
Montour Railroad Diesel Locomotive Roster
|EMD||SW7||72||Acquired new: November, 1950.||1|
|EMD||SW9||73-76||Acquired new: May, 1952.||4|
|EMD||SW9||77-80||Acquired new: December, 1952.||4|
|EMD||SW9||81-84||Acquired new: January, 1953.||4|
This mine was capable of loading 40 cars
in just eight hours and its loss essentially doomed the little line, as
most other mines along its system had already shutdown. A year later
this caused half of its diesel fleet, six SW9s, to be sold to Inland
Steel in April, 1981. In 1983 the final mine closed and was eventually
abandoned. With absolutely no online traffic remaining, and only 23
miles still in use the Montour was finally abandoned itself in 1985.
During the 1990s large sections of the former railroad were acquired by
the Montour Trail Council and today host popular rail/trails. To learn
more about the Montour Railroad please click here
to visit a website dedicated to the company's history (you can also
find several system maps there, roster information, and other detailed
Related Reading You May Enjoy