The history of a railroad serving the coastal town of Belfast, Maine was
conceived as early as March of 1836. However, several issues over the
next three decades precluded the plan from being carried out from the financial Panic of 1837 to lack of funding.
Finally, the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad was organized on July
3, 1867 with the intent of building a route from Belfast, due north to
Greenville along the shores of Moosehead Lake. Overall, the line would
have been about 100 miles in length with connections to the Maine
Central. Officially, construction
of the B&ML began on August 4, 1868 along the waterfront of Belfast
where the railroad's primary shops, offices, and yard (milepost 0.0)
were located. Interestingly, it was here where the system had perhaps
its most striking feature; a short causeway had to be built along the
edge of Belfast Bay to reach the yard making for a quite a photogenic
and scenic location.
After two years the 33-mile line was completed between Belfast
and Burnham (where it connected with the MEC) on September 24, 1870 and
opened to train movements a few months later on December 23.
Unfortunately, any further expansion northward was halted when the
B&ML was leased by the Maine Central a year later and operated as
its Belfast Branch. Despite the route's shortness it prospered right
from the beginning hauling a mixture of passengers and freight, although
not quite in the fashion originally intended. The city
had hoped to use the railroad to grow its port operations by funneling
traffic into Belfast. However, after the MEC takeover freight typically
moved in the opposite direction with the B&ML sending business to its parent at the Burnham Junction interchange.
For the next 55 years the MEC continued to control the Belfast
and Moosehead Lake Railroad until it no longer deemed the company a
profitable operation. By the 1920s small lines like the B&ML were
the first to feel the pinch from the growing automobile, mostly in the
way of passenger movements, and with the MEC claiming annual losses of
$110,000 decided to give the railroad back to the city of Belfast. On January 1, 1926 the B&ML again became an independent operation using a mixture of used equipment
management rounded up in late 1925 to keep the trains moving without
delays or downtime. Nearly all of its steam locomotives came from the
nearby Bangor & Aroostook and the railroad also acquired a mixture
of passenger and freight rolling stock (even a snow plow for Maine's often brutal winters).
The first few years under private ownership the B&ML did quite well
moving more than 100,000 tons of freight and 40,000 passengers annually.
However, the Great Depression
of 1929 hit the road hard, as it did the entire industry. By the late
1930s these numbers had sank by 50% of more with freight tonnage just
50,000 annually and passenger traffic nearly nonexistent with 5,000
travelers boarded. Despite these setbacks the Belfast and Moosehead
Lake always seemed to persevere, holding on until World War II saw both
freight and passenger traffic recover to profitable levels. During
these years its primary source of freight was various types of
agriculture and milk shipments along with some pulpwood. Additionally,
its small steam roster during most the 20th century included 4-4-0
Americans, 4-6-0 Ten-Wheelers, and 2-6-0 Moguls (light, but sufficient
power for the railroad's needs).
Directly after the war the B&ML looked to replace its
aging fleet of steamers for diesel power. In early 1946 the railroad
purchased new General Electric 70-ton switchers, #50-51, which arrived
by December of that year (five years later in May of 1951 it acquired an
additional unit, #52). The three diesels would be the only such
locomotives the company ever owned or purchased. For a system as small
as the B&ML passenger trains interestingly survived until March 9,
1960 when the final one arrived at the MEC interchange in Burnham.
However, freight remained strong for the railroad thanks to the
development of the poultry industry and the movement of bulk feed to
serve it. Unfortunately, the line's major source of income
disappeared after 1980 when energy costs and environmental regulations
caused the processing plants to move out of the region.
By 1988 the B&ML was left with no freight whatsoever and the
only means of survival meant hauling tourists. This setup proved to be
successful although the city of Belfast was no longer interested in the railroad. It was sold in the mid-1990s and by the early 2000s city
officials wanted its waterfront property for other purposes. The
railroad's final run from its main yard and terminal occurred on June 9,
2005 after being evicted a month earlier. Today, despite the loss of
this complex the rest of the B&ML remains intact and after some work
the railroad was restored to operational status hauling passengers.
|A view of the Belfast & Moosehead Lake's primary depot, yard, and shops in Belfast, Maine circa 1900.|
To learn more about its current operations please click here. Finally, for an in-depth history of the Belfast and Moosehead Lake Railroad please click here. For more reading about Maine's railroad history you might want to consider the book Maine Narrow Gauge Railroads
by author Kevin MacDonald and from Arcadia Publishing's "Images of
Rail" series. As the title implies the book, mostly through historic
photographs, document's the state's history of narrow-gauge railroads
and how they helped shape Maine's future. Another book of interest is
Walter Macdougall's The Old Somerset Railroad which explores the
history of this little known railroad that served Maine for many years.