The Nevada Northern Railway
The Nevada Northern Railway (reporting marks, NN) is a living history book of Nevada's once
prolific copper operations. The railroad itself dates back to the very
early 20th century as a means of transportation to move the large
amounts of copper being mined from south-central Nevada. As the price of copper
began to plummet in the late 1970s Kennecott Minerals Company, then
owner of the railroad closed down all of its operations in the region by
the early 1980s. In 1986 the line north of Ely, including all shops
and facilities that were located in the railroad’s hub at Ely were
transferred by Kennecott to the White Pine Historical Railroad, which
today operates it as the Nevada Northern Railway Museum. Recently, there has been talks of the railroad receiving a federal grant to rehabilitate part of the line and resuscitate freight operations.
|Nevada Northern 4-6-0 #40 sits inside the shop at Ely on September 27, 2009. The ten-wheeler was built for the railroad by Baldwin in 1910.|
Today the Nevada
Northern Railway offers a nearly two-hour excursion between Ely and
Keystone, a distance of about 10 miles (roughly a 20-mile round trip)
which takes you on a nearly 2-hour train ride. For power on its
excursions the Nevada Northern usually employs either a 2-8-0 Consolidation Type or 4-6-0 Ten Wheeler steam locomotive, which were originally owned by the Nevada
Northern Railway. Aside from its regular excursions the railroad also
offers a host of specialty trains including Steptoe Valley Flyer
Heritage Train, BBQ trains, the Chocolate
Express, July 4th BBQ & Fireworks Train, Polar Express Christmas
Trains, Haunted Ghost Trains, Oktoberfest Beer Trains, and more!
Along with these trips the railroad also offers other attractions like train charters, locomotive rentals, cab rides, and caboose rentals. Perhaps, though, what is most unique about the railroad, which went a long way in earning it National Historic Landmark status in the spring of 2006 was the impressive level of preservation the railroad remains in. Virtually all of the buildings, locomotives, and rolling stock, everything is original and extremely well preserved. So, when you visit or take a ride on the Nevada Northern Railway you really are stepping back in time, something not many other tourist lines can so completely claim.
|Nevada Northern RS3 #109 rests in the Ely shop on September 27, 2009. The Alco started its career on Kennecott Copper in 1950 with the same number.|
The original Nevada Northern dates back to 1905 when it was created as part of the Nevada Consolidated Copper Company to serve the many mines in the Ely area. The railroad was completed from Cobre, Nevada to Ely in September 1906, at a distance of nearly 140 miles. At Cobre the railroad had a connection with the Southern Pacific’s famed Overland Route main line and 18 miles south at Shafter also had a connection with the Western Pacific Railroad’s main line between Salt Lake City and San Francisco.
Once the railroad had its primary main line completed it fanned out of
Ely serving mines to the west in Ruth and Kimberly (it’s line to Ruth
was known as the “Ore Line” and bypassed Ely to the north, which is the
same route used today by the Nevada Northern Railway Museum), along with
its smelter at McGill. At peak operations during the 1930s and 1940s
the railroad was well over 170 miles in length and was dispatching
several trains a day to interchange points with the Southern Pacific and
Western Pacific. Also during this time the owner of the Nevada Northern Railway, the Nevada
Consolidated Copper Company was purchased by the Kennecott Copper
Corporation, which remained in control of the railroad until its assets
around Ely were sold to the White Pine Historical Railroad in the 1980s.
Traffic on the railroad remained steady until the 1970s when copper prices
began forcing Kennecott to slowly shut down its operations. By 1983
the smelter located at McGill shutdown after the last mine had closed in
1978 and with no more reason to be in operation the Nevada Northern Railway as a commercial common-carrier railroad ceased operations after 78 years of service. While the line west of Ely is still mostly in service for the Nevada
Northern Railway Museum hope still remains that one day the entire
railroad will return to operation. After a brief resumption of mining
in Ruth in the 1990s in which rail service only lasted until 1999 (trucks now do the job), the City of Ely acquired the line north of the city
all of the way to the original interchange point located at Cobre.
|Nevada Northern 2-8-0 #93 meanders along the yard tracks in Ely on September 27, 2009. The Consolidation was built for Kennecott Copper in 1909 by Alco.|
During April of 2014 news broke that the railroad had applied for a federal TIGER grant in the tune of $15 million. The monies would be used to overhaul the trackage between Keystone to Currie with new ties and ballast and allow for an interchange to be reestablished with Union Pacific at Cobre. Additionally, the restored rail service would provide a copper mine in Ruth with such access as it currently must rely on trucks transportation only. Such a move would provide the Nevada Northern with a much needed, sustained stream of revenue and likely increase its tourist draw by extending excursions over much of the system. Lastly, if you have the time please consider volunteering to help them with not only restoration work but also maintaining their railroad. I am sure they would very much
appreciate the help! For more information about the Nevada Northern Railway please click here to visit their website.
Related Reading You May Enjoy