While the Southern Railway was always a highly profitable, and efficiently managed company it had little interest in the streamliner concept when it was first introduced to the public by the Union Pacific's M-10000 and Burlington's Pioneer Zephyr.
Seeing the sleek and shiny trains as merely a wasteful use of capital
that was nothing more than a gag to get passengers back to the rails the
Southern continued to resist the idea even after being approached by
both Pullman-Standard and the Budd Company do to so. As the 1930s wore
on it became more and more obvious of the streamliner's benefits, they
were having a very positive effect with the railroads implementing the
service. As such, by 1940 after doing its own internal study and
concluding for itself the train's advantages the Southern ordered 44 new cars from Pullman-Standard along with 11 new E6 diesel locomotives from the Electro-Motive Corporation (7 E6As and 4 E6Bs).
This equipment allowed the Southern to introduce two new streamliners, the Southerner and Tennessean
although the onset of World War II precluded the railroad from further
efforts while the conflict was ongoing. The wartime period did see
passenger traffic surge immensely, not only for the Southern but also
for the industry in general. Because of this the railroad's two
flagship runs at the time between New Orleans and New York were having
serious trouble keeping pace with demand. Directly after the war the
Southern unveiled a new train known as the Pelican, which was
initially steam powered. Just like its two more well known counterparts
the train worked in conjunction with the Pennsy to reach New York.
However, it did not start out as a streamliner and featured a lot of
|The Pelican sits at its assigned track at Terminal Station in the late 1960s.|
Just as the Tennessean and Birmingham Special worked with the Norfolk & Western between Lynchburg and Bristol, Virginia so too did the Pelican.
As for the N&W during this era it held its passenger operations to
a very high standard, which included those of its partner lines.
Because of this all three trains were almost always powered by the
railroad's flagship power, the J Class, streamlined 4-8-4s. Naturally,
any of these runs were quite a sight to behold if you were lucky enough
to be trackside and see them in operation. It was also not uncommon to
see N&W equipment mixed in with the Pelican, which was particularly the case in later years. After the N&W retired its steam fleet typical power for any train it operated were EMD GP9s.
In early 1950 the Southern began receiving new lightweight cars from Pullman-Standard, which allowed it to completely reequip its crack trains like the Crescent while allowing the train to receive partial streamlining. This period also saw the railroad
receiving new passenger diesels from EMD including E8s (17) for its
flagship runs as well as FP7s (20) for its secondary trains including the Pelican.
A typical consist for the train during the 1950s included seven
sleepers that offered through service to Knoxville, Shreveport, Bristol,
Williamson (West Virginia), a diner, and reclining-seat coaches. From the beginning the train was listed on Southern's timetable
as #41 (southbound) and #42 (northbound). The railroad also promoted
the run with an ad featuring, of course, a pelican that read "The Southern Railway named a train after me! 'The Pelican', trains Nos. 41 and 42 between New York and New Orleans."
(Thanks to Bill Haithcoat for help regarding the information and some of the photos on this page.)
Please Click Here To Return To The Southern Page
|A very short Southern consist at Alexandria, Virginia during March of 1972 led by FP7 #6141 will soon grow into a mixed train once piggyback cars are added.|