The Providence & Worcester's history began in 1844 to connect its namesake cities when it
was incorporated that year on March 12th as the Providence &
Worcester Railway. A year later on November 25th the company merged with the Providence & Worcester Railroad,
located in Rhode Island, and the new operation took the latter's name.
The P&W opened its original line between Worcester and Millville,
Massachusetts in September, 1847 and was completed to Providence a month
later on October 20th. After nearly 50 years of independence the much
large New Haven system was leased the railroad for 99 years on July 1,
1892. From this point for the next 70+ years the P&W operated on
paper as a subsidiary of the New Haven, a major New England railroad
that operated all over the region serving New York to the south and
Boston to the north as well as most northeastern state.
The P&W’s road to independence started in 1969 when the New Haven was merged into the Penn Central Corporation (although both the Pennsylvania and New York Central wanted nothing to do with the New Haven, due to the railroad’s very poor financial situation, it was forced into the merger per the ICC's ruling). Because of this merger the following spring in 1970 the Providence and Worcester wanted out and announced it was going independent which resulted in quite a legal battle but was approved by the ICC and finalized in the late winter of 1973. Until it was acquired by Genesee & Wyoming the P&W operated 163 miles between Rhode Island, Massachusetts, and Connecticut while 350 miles of additional trackage rights gave it access between Providence, Rhode Island and Queens, New York (New York City).
Since regaining independence the Providence &
Worcester offered the only interstate rail
service into Rhode Island (the state currently has no Class I railroads and the P&W was the largest carrier still operating within the state until 2016) and
had the unique and exclusive privilege of actually operating over the
Northeast Corridor between New Haven and the Massachusetts/Rhode Island
border. Today, the former P&W lines are a vital transportation artery as part of Genesee & Wyoming, as one of
New England's most important such companies. Before the G&W takeover its roster included a mix
of EMD and GE power of the four-axle variety save for an E9B. During the railroad's deeper history it carried an eclectic collection of diesels ranging from Alco RS3s to early EMD and GE models like GP9s and U23Bs.
All-Time Diesel Locomotive Roster
|GE||25-Tonner||150||1||1945||Ex-T.A.D. Jones & Company|
|Alco||RS3||161-166, 1601-1602||8||1951-1952||Ex-D&H, Ex-Southern|
|GE||B40-8W||562, 580, 582, 4005||4||1992||Ex-Santa Fe|
|EMD||GP9E||1802||1||1954||Ex-T&NO (SP) GP9 #283|
|GE||B23-7R||2000, 2215-2216||3||1972||Ex-WP U23B #2263|
|EMD||GP38-3||2010-2011||2||1969||Ex-PC GP38s #7794, #7808|
|EMD||GP40-3||3002-3006||5||1966-1971||Ex-B&O, Ex-SAL GP40s|
On August 15, 2016, Genesee & Wyoming announced intentions to purchase the Providence & Worcester for $126 million, sale expected to be completed by year's end. The new acquisition will be operated as part of G&W's Northeast Region. The railroad's current traffic base consists of everything from steel,
coal, chemicals, scrap metals, and cement to food-based products like
corn syrup and vegetable oils. Its customers include Dow Chemical, Northeast Utilities, Exxon/Mobil, Frito-Lay, General Dynamics Corporation, International Paper Company, Smurfit Stone Container Corporation and Tilcon Connecticut.
The P&W also operates the largest double-stack intermodal
facilities in the region, located in Worcester. Under G&W ownership the large short line conglomerate plans to expand service across New England, working in conjunction with sister line's, the New England Central and Connecticut Southern.
Related Reading You May Enjoy
Class II Railroads
Providence & Worcester