The Sandersville Railroad has been an institution in its local Georgia community for more than a century although interestingly this little line has never been particularly large at less than 10 miles in length. During its early years the line struggled to survive finding a minimal traffic base to remain profitable. However, things all changed after 1910 when new ownership led by an innovative entrepreneur turned around the company's fortunes. Then, about 20 years later the kaolin industry came to Sandersville and the railroad has prospered from this lucrative mineral ever since. Surprisingly, for such a small line the Sandersvillle has a very large traffic base serving a variety of customers, most of which are located within its hometown. The future of the shortline also looks bright as it may soon double in size and begin moving significant coal tonnage to serve a new power plant proposal.
The history of the Sandersville Railroad begins when the Central of Georgia Railway (CoG) was constructing its main line to Macon in the late 1880s. The company wanted to build its route through Sandersville and place a depot there although local opposition was so loud that the railroad ultimately decided to move its line three miles south to Tennille. The town's disinterest in the railroad is somewhat odd in those days considering the importance trains played; a rail line was a community's lifeblood to the outside world and without it a town usually withered. This, of course, befell Sandersville and as Tennille prospered it did not take local leaders long in deciding it was time to build their own railroad. The Sandersville Railroad was organized in 1893 and opened soon after to Tennille where it interchanged with the CoG.
For the next 20 years the company struggled to remain a profitable operation with little freight and only marginal passenger traffic (considering its small size). In 1916 the railroad's owners offered the system at a very reasonable price to local businessman Ben Tarbutton if he could keep it afloat after five years of operations. Under the young man's leadership the road began to prosper as new sources of freight were unearthed and the timber industry sprang up. Prior to World War II the line's traffic included various types of local agriculture and six sawmills. However, the true success of the Sandersville Railroad occurred in 1938 when the Champion Paper & Fiber Company decided to begin processing its kaolin deposits located in the local Washington County region.
Thanks to Mr. Tarbutton's success with his railroad Champion's vice president, Clarke Marion, wanted the company's new processing plant built somewhere along the Sandersville. As it turns out the state of Georgia is home to the largest deposit of kaolin in the United States. The clay is a white, chalky-like mineral used in a wide range of products including medicine, paper coating, ceramic, paint, tooth paste, food products, and even light bulbs. After Champion opened its facility several other companies soon followed including United Clay Minerals in 1940, Burgess Washington Clay in 1945, and Georgia Kaolin in 1958. The latter company was located six miles to the northwest in Kaolin and the railroad constructed its main line there to serve the plant, tripling its total length to 9.1 miles (which still holds today).
While kaolin has remained Sandersville Railroad's freight staple for more than a half-century now (Georgia produces more than $1 billion of the stuff annually, although the shortline does not transport all of that) the company has diversified its traffic base in other ways as well. Today, for instance, the road has freight that includes plastic pellets, ethanol, turkey feed, chipwood, and it even serves a bulk transfer facility. The future also looks quite promising. Recently it was announced that a $2.1 billion coal-fired power plant was in the works to be built somewhere north of the railroad; this would not only result in the Sandersville growing yet again but also offer it a traffic source in coal that would far surpass its dominance in the kaolin market.
Sandersville Railroad Diesel Locomotive Roster
|Builder||Model Type||Road Number||Built||Quantity|
|EMD||SW1500||1100, 1300, 1400, 1500||1967-1970||4|
|GE||Slug||90-91||1964||Former Rock Island U25B #210|
Historically, during the steam era The Kaolin Road primarily relied on a single 2-8-0 Consolidation, purchased secondhand from the Central of Georgia for freight duties. This was replaced in 1953 with a Fairbanks-Morse 1,200 horsepower H12-44 switcher, #100. In the 1960s this unit was replaced with two EMD SW1500s. Today, the company still uses these switchers along with a few others, an SW1200, and two slugs. The future of the road looks very strong with a wide traffic base and potential new traffic on the way, not to mention that it is still family owned by the Tarbutton's. Perhaps most fascinating is that for such a small operation it truly carries a Class I feel with heavy welded-rail, is well-ballasted, and equipment is kept in immaculate shape. For more information about the Sandersville Railroad please click here to visit their website.
Check out the website's digital book (E-book), An Atlas To Classic Short Lines, which features system maps and a brief background of 46 different historic railroads. To learn more please click on the image below.