For nearly the next 20 years not much changed on the property. Then, in
1919 as the streetcar and interurban industry began its rapid decline
into oblivion the Grafton and Upton Railroad ended passenger operations
along the Upton Street Railway on April 22 and eventually scrapped the
route entirely by December 11, 1920. Before the decade was out the
G&U would end passenger services altogether with final runs made on
August 31, 1928. Then, on July 3, 1946 all electrified operations ended
and were scrapped and sold by July 11. In place of the General Electric
40-ton steeple cabs that had been used the G&U purchased
second-hand B&A steam locomotives as well as a few GE 44 ton diesels
(a year later, in 1947 the railroad picked up an Alco S-4 switcher,
which was subsequently scrapped on May 4, 2009).
By 1952 the G&U also lost its U.S. mail contracts, although in all likelihood due to the small communities the line served this was probably not a major setback. By the 1960s, however, things were starting to look quite bleak for the company, which was a general trend for the industry but particularly for the northeastern railroads. A major flood in 1968 washed out part of the main line and in 1973 it lost its connection with then Penn Central at Milford (which terminated the interchange). Additionally, in 1975 the company lost its major customer, the Draper Hopedale Factory, which had actually owned the company from 1894 to 1967. In late January, 1979 the railroad was again sold, this time by Rockwell International to Torco, Inc.
By 1988 the last remaining customer in Hopedale (just west of the former Milford interchange) closed and from that point forward the only business the G&U held from based locally out of its small yard in Grafton. By the year 2000 the G&U's remaining business consisted of a transload facility and local customer, the Upton Fuel & Construction Company. Finally, in March 2008 the company was purchased by Jon Delli Priscoli and immediately vowed to restore the G&U to its original status. To do this meant restoring virtually the entire 16.5-mile main line south of Grafton by cutting brush and rebuilding at least one crossing that had been removed by the town of Milford in October, 2005.
With much of the route out of service for 20 years the local
towns were somewhat hesitant to see the railroad restored. However,
because the entire property was technically still an active line and owned by the G&U (i.e., never formally abandoned)
there was little that could be done. Since Mr. Priscoli's purchase he
has received increasing opposition despite the potential job creation
and economic opportunities moving forward. The new owner has big plans
for the company and continues to upgrade the property as funds and time
are available. To visit the Grafton and Upton Railroad's official website please click here.
Related Reading You May Enjoy
Grafton & Upton