history of the Pacific and which railroad was the first to operate the
wheel arrangement is a bit fuzzy although it can be traced over a nearly
15-year period until the first, true 4-6-2 was put into service. As
early as 1887 the Lehigh Valley, despite its small size, was again an
early pioneer in yet another wheel arrangement, testing out an
experimental 4-6-0 with an added trailing axle supporting a larger
firebox. Two years later in 1889 the Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul
Railway (the early Milwaukee Road) tested a similar experimental
Ten-wheeler with an added rear axle to spread out the locomotive's
weight. However, the first true 4-6-2, which was a combination of improvements to the 4-4-2 Atlantic and Ten-wheeler operated on the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1902.
The railroad's hope with the new locomotive, just as was the case with other future designs like the 4-8-2 and 4-8-4, was for increased speed and power in passenger service. The design's two-axle lead pilot truck allowed for improved riding quality while the extra driving axle increased overall speed, tractive effort, as well as provided for a larger boiler which led to added power. Finally, the trailing axle provided for a larger firebox, which meant more steam pressure and ultimately more power as well. The Pacifics were another of the most aesthetically pleasing designs ever put into service, with or without any significant streamlining. The C&O went on to name theirs, initially, as "Mountains" although this name was later dropped in favor of a much less glorious title of "Ten Wheeler With Trailer."
Virtually every well-remembered railroad of the time owned at least one
4-6-2. The Pennsylvania Railroad's Class K-4s, are typically regarded
as the most famous (and likely were the best engineered 4-6-2s ever put
in service), as they pulled double-duty hauling both passengers and
freight trains. The locomotives ability to pull heavy freights was
thanks to their larger size (one of the largest ever built) with
tractive efforts exceeding 44,000 pounds and a boiler pressure greater
than 205 psi (the PRR also owned the most Pacifics of any railroad,
rostering well over 500). Other roads would follow the PRR and used
some 4-6-2s in freight service as
well. In any event, if the Pennsy's were the most powerful Pacifics
than the Southern’s Class Ps4 were arguably the most beautiful painted
in regal deep, Virginia green with gold trim, and white-wall wheels.
With their larger driving wheels the Ps4 locomotives were capable of speeds approaching 80 mph with nearly 1000 tons in tow and regularly cruised the Southern’s Washington to Atlanta main line at nearly 60 mph. While the Southern and Pennsylvania’s 4-6-2s were perhaps the two most celebrated classes there were dozens of others, as nearly 100 different railroads would ultimately roster at least one Pacific. Interestingly, the 4-6-2 design had only been in service for less than 10 years when the much larger, and more powerful, 4-8-2 debuted on the Chesapeake & Ohio in 1910. While the Mountain was a technological step up from the Pacific many roads still saw a need for the 4-6-2 whether as primary/secondary power or simply because their lines lay outside most mountainous territory and did not require the bigger 4-8-2 in most circumstances.
Most Pacifics were built until around 1930 and by that date roughly
had been manufactured for railroads in the United States and Canada.
Many of the larger lines rostered more than 100 units alone, most of
which were built by Alco and Baldwin with Lima receiving a few orders as
well. Also of note were the two classes by the United States Railroad
Administration (USRA) during World War I; the 4-6-2A (the light Pacific
with 55,000 pounds per driver axle) and 4-6-2B (the heavy Pacific with
60,000 pound per driver axle). While a handful of both examples were
built for various roads ultimately few were manufactured.
Related Reading You May Enjoy