Here is your one-stop shop for learning about all of the newest additions or changes happening at American-Rails.com. Listed below is every page that is either new or which was updated within the last few days. Simply click on the link "Continue Reading..." under each heading to visit the page in question. With new articles added on a regular basis be sure and either check back here often or subscribe to the website's RSS feed to keep up with the latest.
The Ontario Northland Railway is a government owned and operated system dating to 1902 that connects Moosonee and North Bay. It hosted pasenger trains until 2012.
The Northern Alberta Railways was a consolidated system, once jointly owned by CN and CP, that served its home territory. It disappeared into CN in 1981.
The Pacific Great Eastern Railway, which became the British Columbia Railway after 1972, was the third largest system in Canada. CN acquired the property in 2004.
General Motors Diesel, Ltd. became EMD's Canadian division formed in 1949 with a plant in London, Ontario. It built locomotives until 2012 when new ownership closed the facility.
The Canadian Locomotive Company, or CLC, was a long-time manufacturer dating back to the 19th century. It is best remember as an arm of Fairbanks Morse.
The Draper Taper was exclusively seen in Canada, used only by the Canadian National where it first saw service on Bombardier's HR616.
The Western Maryland's Connellsville Extension was the unsuccessful dream of then-owner George Gould's attempt at creating the first, true transcontinental railroad during the early 1900s.
The Montreal Locomotive Works, or MLW, was a Canadian manufacturer of locomotives that was acquired by the American Locomotive Company. It ceased production in 1985.
The MK5000C was a Morrison-Knudsen/MK Rail road-switcher locomotive developed in 1994. When MK succumbed to bankruptcy soon after the project ended with six units produced.
The Morrison-Knudsen Corporation for many years was in the construction and engineering business only entering the railroad industry in the 1970s. It was dissolved in 2000.
The Blunt truck was uniquely Alco design, invented by a company engineer and used on its early S series switches. It was discontinued with the introduction of the S3.
The AAR Type B was a standard truck designed used on several early diesel locomotive models except those built by EMD. They are most closely associated with Alco products.
The Blomberg Truck was created by noted engineer Martin Blomberg during the 1930s. It was so well engineered it remained in production until the 1980s.
The Flexicoil Truck was a brand of locomotive suspension designed by EMD for use on its switchers and road-switchers. It first appeared on the SD7 and remained in production until the 1980s.
The gandy dancer was a slang term used to describe section gangs, railroad men who performed the physical task of the tracks maintained.
The M-497, otherwise known as the Black Beetle, was an experimental turbojet train tested by the New York Central in 1966. It was scrapped in 1984.
The Mars Light was a safety device developed during the 1930s by Jerry Kennelly that oscillated to warn bystanders.
The Black Maria was a nickname for Alco's experimental DL-203-1/2 diesel locomotive of the 1940s, which led to the development of the FA and PA models.
Alco's model 251 prime mover was a diesel engine developed to replace the troublesome 244. It remained in production until the builder closed its doors in the 1960s.
The EMD model 710 prime mover is the builder's lastest diesel engine powering its locomotives. It has been in production since 1984.
Learn more about train rides here, broken down by state from the Strasburg Railroad in Pennsylvania to the Grand Canyon Railway in Arizona.
Tunnel motors is a term describing the SD45T-2 and later SD40T-2, which were successful variants built in the 1970s for Southern Pacific and Rio Grande in mountainous operations.
Road-switchers are today's form of all-purpose diesels able function as main line power as well as act as switchers. They were first created by Alco in the early 1940s.
Switchers are a type of locomotive that have been around since the steam era designed for yard, transfer, and light freight work.
One of the most legendary paint schemes to grace a locomotive was the Santa Fe's Warbonnet livery, first applied to the Super Chief in 1937.
The cow-calf was a specific switcher locomotive design released only by Electro-Motive during the 1940s and 1950s for transfer and yard service.
The 2-6-6-4 wheel arrangement was a late era steam locomotive design, and one of the finest Mallets ever built. Four railroads operated them, most notable of which was the N&W's Class A fleet.
The B unit, otherwise known as a booster, was a cabless locomotive that debuted during the early diesel era. Some exampels are still used today.
Slugs, sometimes referred to as mates or drones, are unpowered units, which work with at least one locomotive to provided added tractive effort and adhesion.
The Norfolk & Western's Jawn Henry was an experimental steam turbine locomotive built in 1954. It proved problematic and troublesome and was scrapped by 1957.