The American Locomotive Company was actually formed through the
combination of several smaller companies in 1901. These companies
included the Dickson Manufacturing Company, Brooks Locomotive Works,
Cooke Locomotive and Machine Works, Schenectady Locomotive Works,
Manchester Locomotive Works, Richmond Locomotive Works,Pittsburgh
Locomotive and Car Works, and Rhode Island Locomotive Works. Three
years later in 1904 the company acquired the Locomotive and Machine
Company of Montreal, renaming it the Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW).
Except for the Montreal plant and the Schenectady, New York operation
all other predecessor facilities were closed with the company's main
headquarters being located in Schenectady.
For more reading regarding the history of Alco please click here. Alco quickly gained a reputation for not only building high quality steam locomotives but also incorporating new technologies into its designs. While Alco built scores of early steamers such as 2-8-0 Consolidations and 4-6-0 Ten-Wheelers, the builder was perhaps most famous for some of the later wheel arrangements it manufactured such as the 2-8-4 Berkshires, 4-6-4 Hudsons, 4-8-4 Northerns and others. Alco also would build several of the massive articulated designs such as Union Pacific's 4-6-6-4 Challengers and the behemoth 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. In 1930 Alco produced the first steam locomotive, a 4-8-4 Northern, to operate with rolling bearings in conjunction with the Timken Roller Bearing Company which considerably reduced maintenance and wear on a locomotive's running gear, especially the axles.
While the company was most successful building steam locomotives it
is perhaps best remembered for its diesel locomotives. Diesel-electric
locomotives have been around in one shape or form since the mid-1920s
when Alco jump started the market for them. The company joined with General Electric and Ingersoll-Rand to produce a 300 hp, 60-ton model
in 1924 that would be purchased by the Central Railroad of New Jersey,
followed by the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad. During the 1930s Alco
was at the leading edge of diesel locomotive technology, which is rather ironic considering it would slowly fall behind and lose market share to both General Electric and GM's Electro-Motive Division in the following decades.
The American Locomotive Company's first true production diesel locomotive was the DL-103 (the "DL" stood for diesel locomotive), a streamlined end-cab design similar to then-EMC's (the Electro-Motive Corporation, before it became a division of General Motors) EA model
of 1937. However, unlike the EA the DL-103 was neither as reliable or
as aesthetically well-defined, with a much longer, and lower nose. The
unit used Alco's 539T prime mover, which was a four-stroke diesel that produced 2,000 horsepower. Eventually Alco would produce four different models,
which varied slightly. Aside from the DL-103 they included the DL-105,
DL-107, and DL-109 (which was the most successful garnering 62 units
produced). Alco also produced two models of cabless "B" units the DL-108 and DL-110 that only saw four total sales.
|Delaware & Hudson C424 #451 and a parade of other power head up train EDNW as it enters Norfolk & Western's Buffalo Junction Yard at Buffalo, New York on May 21, 1983.|
In all the DL series was unsuccessful selling only 78 A and B
units total, and was a microcosm of Alco's problems with main line
passenger and freight diesel locomotives. Railroads often found the
company's prime movers, particularly the 539 (which the DL-100 series
was powered with), 241, and 244 models unreliable, troublesome, and
rather complicated to maintain. Even in later years when Alco developed
a more reliable prime mover, the model 251 it appears the damage was
already done amongst railroads. Clearly, Alco's most successful diesel locomotive lines were its
switchers and early road-switchers, beginning with the S-1 and RS-1
The S-1 was listed in Alco's catalog in 1940 while the RS-1 followed a
year later. The S series (the "S" stood for switcher) would wind up
selling over 3,000 units by the time production ended while the RS
series (the "RS" stood for road switcher) would sell nearly 1,800.
is ironic is that the S series models (of which there were four built
the S-1, S-2, S-3, and S-4 with all being very similar) used Alco's
troublesome 539 model prime mover and the RS series (the RS-1, RS-2, and
RS-3) was powered with the likewise fickle 244 model. However, these
engines performed well in Alco's smaller switcher models but not so in
the main line models like the PA and FA. Alco's PA and FA models (the PA was the passenger model
while the FA was for freight service) debuted in 1946 and were the
company's answer to EMD's wildly successful E and F series cab units.
Unfortunately, they were equipped with Alco's new 244 model prime mover
which was meant to replace the troublesome 539.
|Rock Island C415 #419, GP38-2 #4332, and NW2 #4907 sit at the South Chicago Yard between assignments on April 2, 1977.|
The engine had been
rushed into production and proved to be just as unreliable as the 539.
The FA would go on to sell just over 800 units while the PA, despite
being one of the most beautiful diesel locomotive designs ever
conceived, sold just over 200 units. Both models were later re-engined
with Alco's much more reliable 251 model but by that point the damage of
the company's reputation had already been done with two failed prime
mover designs. In the early 1960s the American Locomotive Company made
final attempt to keep a respectable market share in the locomotive
industry by unveiling its Century series, which were main line freight
units of B-B and C-C trucks (four and six axles). By this time General
had already taken over second place from Alco after ending its
relationship with the company in 1950 (before that time both
corporations teamed up to produce diesel locomotives).
In 1963 Alco introduced the C-420 and C-628 (the first number
designated the number of wheels per truck and the second the horsepower,
so a C-425 had four wheels, or a B-B truck, and 2,500 horsepower) to
compete with GE's relatively new Universal series and EMD's
soon-to-be-released second generation models like the SD35 (which entered EMD's catalog in 1964). While the new models were equipped with Alco's much more reliable 251 prime mover
(more specifically the 251C) the damage to the company's reputation of
unreliable locomotives had already been done. In total the C-400 series
sold just 297 units while the C-600 series sold 348. In comparison,
EMD's original SD40 model of 1966 outsold both models by more than two-fold at 1,257 units.
American Locomotive Company Diesel Models
|S-5||7 (Built for B&M)||1954||800|
|C-643DH||3 (Built For SP)||1964||4,300|
|C-855||3 (Built For UP)||1964||5,500|
American Locomotive Company Advertisements
What Do You Feed An Iron Horse? February, 1944 Life Magazine
|Erie Lackawanna RS3 #1016 switches a train through the yard at Hammond, Indiana on April 2, 1971.|
With the Century series unsuccessful the American Locomotive
Company gave up on the locomotive market and closed its Schenectady
operation in 1969. The company's locomotive designs were sold to its
Montreal Locomotive Works division (which was eventually purchased by
Bombardier in 1975 and merged into the company by the 1985) and its
engine schematics would eventually wind up with Fairbanks-Morse, a
one-time diesel locomotive manufacturer itself, which continues to build Alco-inspired engines to this day. Finally, this article provides interesting insight into the differences between Alco and EMD diesels.
Related Reading You May Enjoy