The L&NE’s history prior to 1895 is a very
confusing and complicated affair involving numerous name changes, failures, and reorganizations. A detailed, but brief summary will be provided here. If the original incarnation of the L&NE had been brought to life it would have encompassed three different railroads providing through service between Boston, Massachusetts to Harrisburg, Pennsylvania via Poughkeepsie, New York and the northern tip of New Jersey. The segment related directly to the L&NE's heritage was known as the South Mountain & Boston Railroad chartered on March 13, 1873. It was intended to run from Portland, Pennsylvania along the New Jersey state line to Boston Corners, New York situated near the southwestern corner of Massachusetts. At the former location the SM&B would connect with the South Mountain Railroad reaching Harrisburg while the Massachusetts Central Railroad would build from the latter town into Boston.
With financial backing at the start, grading commenced almost immediately although the financial Panic of 1873 quickly brought work to a halt. This was, essentially, the closest the project ever came to completion as there was never enough sound financial security in the succeeding years to see much construction carried out . After numerous bankruptcies, foreclosures, and name changes (some of which included the Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie & New England Railroad of 1879; the Pennsylvania & New England Railroad of 1880; Delaware & Slatington Railroad of 1881; Pennsylvania, Slatington & New England Railroad (1882-1887); and the Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie & Boston Railroad 1887-1895) the Lehigh & New England Railroad was organized on April 2, 1895 following receivership of the Pennsylvania, Poughkeepsie & Boston.
By the time the L&NE was formed the founder’s original plans had fallen far short of either Boston or Harrisburg. Its route at this time was much more modest, extending from Slatington, Pennsylvania to Pine Island, New York. The L&NE had reached no large markets except for the Allentown/Bethlehem area but the road found growing success in the anthracite coal markets of eastern Pennsylvania. These deposits were rich enough to support several railroads as the clean burning fuel was highly desired for heating purposes in the metropolitan regions throughout the Northeast. The L&NE truly blossomed following the opening of the Poughkeepsie Bridge on January 1, 1889. It was controlled by the Central New England Railway, later a division of the New York, New Haven & Hartford (New Haven), and offered an inside gateway for the smaller lines moving freight to and from New England.
At its peak the L&NE’s system stretched a little over 200 miles; it ran from a connection at Tamaqua, Pennsylvania with the Reading, branched from Bender's Junction to the Allentown/Bethlehem area (this section also reached Bath, Pennsylvania and Martins Creek to the east), and headed northeasterly to Campbell Hall/Maybrook. At Campbell Hall the L&NE interchanged with the New York, Ontario & Western while the Erie provided a connection just to the south at Goshen, New York. Other connections at the following locations included the Erie at Pine Island, New York; New York, Susquehanna & Western at Hainesburg Junction and Swartswood Junction; Pennsylvania at Martins Creek, Pennsylvania; Lehigh Valley at Stockertown, Catasauqua, and Lizard Creek Junction, Pennsylvania; Delaware, Lackawanna & Western at Portland and Bath Junction, Pennsylvania; Jersey Central at Bethlehem and Hauto/Nesquehoning, Pennsylvania; and the Chestnut Ridge Railway at Palmerton, Pennsylvania.
The Lehigh & New England's "main line" was more or less a jumble of branches with freight generally moving to interchanges at Bethlehem/Allentown, Tamaqua, and the Campbell Hall/Maybrook gateway. The road's primary yard and shops were situated in the small town of Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania located towards the southern end of its system. While the L&NE served as a bridge line similar to that of neighbor L&HR it also carried a considerable amount of anthracite coal derived from online mines in addition to cement traffic from branch lines around Bath. According to J.W. Swanberg article, "Maybrook, New York: One Yard, Six Railroads, Cars By The Thousands; The Northeast's Melting Pot," in 1953 coal still comprised 48% of its annual carloads while cement accounted for 28% and general traffic another 25%. That year also witnessed nearly 31,000 carloads interchanged through the Maybrook Yard.
In one of the stranger moves ever carried out by a railroad its board of directors elected to cease all operations after October 31, 1961 despite the fact the company was still profitable. It is also surprising the Interstate Commerce Commission allowed the abandonment to take place given this fact. From the L&NE's standpoint it felt its future was bleak in the face of declining coal and other freight in a region already saturated with railroads. Within the next few years large segments were taken up while bridges were dismantled over the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers. A few of its routes were spared when the nearby Jersey Central acquired the Bethlehem-Martins Creek segment as well as its old line between Tamaqua and Lehighton. This ex-L&NE trackage was operated under a subsidiary known as the Lehigh & New England Railway. The Central Railroad of New Jersey has gone by a number of different names from CRRNJ and CNJ to Jersey Central and its aforementioned official designation.
Regardless of its many names the CNJ was a New Jersey institution for years although it was only regional in operation and at its peak boasted a system of just over 700 miles. The CNJ served much of New Jersey along with northwestern Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, and Washington
D.C. via a partnership with the B&O. The demise of the railroad was the
result of a number of factors including a region too saturated with
railroads, stiff government regulation, falling traffic, and markets already served by stronger competitors. However, for all
of these issues, a heavy tax burden by the state of New Jersey only worsened the CNJ's situation over the years and ultimately led to the railroad’s bankruptcy
and inclusion into Conrail during the spring of 1976. After Conrail took over the CNJ
much of the L&NE, along with the Jersey Central itself, was abandoned as its tackage was deemed redundant/superfluous.
Diesel Locomotive Roster
Lastly, there is one former L&NE diesel locomotive known to exist, S-2 #611 owned by the Emporia Grain Elevator in Emporia, Indiana but currently is listed as for sale with a weak generator. There are three others which possibly exist, RS2s #653, #660, and #663.
The American Locomotive Company
Whitcomb Locomotive Works
|65DE19a||601 (Ex-U.S. Army)||1944||1|
Steam Locomotive Roster
(Thanks to Don Dorflinger for help with the information on this page.)
While the Lehigh & New England never operated a large
diesel locomotive roster it did own a near all-Alco fleet including
S-2s, RS-2s, and FAs/FBs. After the CNJ took over operations the
railroad began using a small fleet of GP7s, RS-3s, and a single RSD-4. While
the L&NE is often a forgotten Northeastern system, a result of its early cessation, the company has an
interesting and colorful history as poignant as the elegant paint
scheme worn by its locomotives (black with white pinstriping). Interestingly, the road's voluntarily abandonment proved a wise choice with the downfall of the Northeast's railroad network just a decade later; in 1968 New York Central and Pennsylvania merged to form the ill-fated Penn Central. A year later it acquired the New Haven and slowly worked to close the Poughkeepsie gateway since it operated a direct line through New England. It got its way in 1974 when the bridge burned.
Related Reading You May Enjoy
Lehigh & New England