Seeing an opportunity itself parent Pennsylvania created the Waynesburg
Southern Railroad in 1966 (which it then leased to the railroad) to
begin building a railroad in a rough crescent south and east of
Waynesburg tapping the many new mines opening in the region. Eventually
the line swung its way around and connected with the Scotts Run Branch
at Blacksville, with two spurs to Wana and Miracle Run to serve mines
south of the new line. No longer needing the Scotts Run Branch east of
Blacksville that line was abandoned in 1968.
Interestingly the first train to move a loaded coal train on
the Waynesburg Southern was the Penn Central in mid-July of 1968. While
the Monongahela Railway also opened an additional branch in the early
1950s tapping Grant Town and
Fairview located to the northwest of Fairmont the railroad, and then
built another branch in the mid-1980s to serve mines located west of
Waynesburg at Sycamore and Time, Pennsylvania the railroad had all but
reached its final length after the Waynesburg Southern extension.
Following the abandonment of its Scotts Run Branch in 1968 the
railroad also began axing other redundant trackage. In 1976 it
abandoned most of the old Connellsville & Monongahela Railway and
lines south of Millsboro on the west bank of the Monongahela River.
Then, in 1979 it also pulled up its trackage south of Prickett Junction.
By this time the railroad was being operated in two divisions; the
East Division, which operated the Mon’s lines along the river and the
West Division, which operated the lines west of Millsboro (i.e., the
Waynesburg Southern Railroad extension). It also should be noted that
while the Monongahela was controlled by three different railroads it
retained some semblance of independence by being operated by its own
After a rough stretch during the 1970s the Monongahela Railway
was once again becoming a profitable operation by the 1980s,
particularly after its extension to Time and Sycamore in 1984.
Unfortunately, while by the end of the 1980s the railroad was earning
healthier profits its end was nearing. In 1989 the cash-starved
P&LE sold its interest in the Mon to then PRR successor Conrail.
Then, after B&O successor CSX Transportation abandoned its FM&P
Subdivision (which connected with the Monongahela), which operated
between Fairmont, Morgantown, and Connellsville due to a landslide the
railroad also gave up its old B&O share of the Mon to Conrail in
Diesel Locomotive Roster
The Baldwin Locomotive Works
|RF16A||1205, 1207, 1209, 1213, 1216 (Ex-NYC)||1951-1952||5|
|Super7-23B (B23-S7)||2300-2310 (Ex-WP U23Bs)||1972/1989-1990||11|
Steam Locomotive Roster
|L1 Through L3/a||Mikado||2-8-2|
Soon after this Conrail, having always wanted the Mon
began integrating the coal hauler into its system and the railroad
officially disappeared on April 31, 1993. Still, things have a funny
way of coming full circle, however. In 1999 Conrail was spilt up
between Norfolk Southern and CSX. In regards to the old Monongahela it
was decided that Norfolk Southern would acquire ownership of the former
railroad but with the stipulation that CSX would have access to any
shippers on the line that it wanted. So, today, you can still catch NS
and CSX trains operating over the Mon (known today as NS’s MGA Mine
District) on a system that is virtually unchanged from the 1985 system.
Related Reading You May Enjoy