The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad, The Little Giant
The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad is one of the smaller fallen flag
systems as it operated a main line stretching from Connellsville,
Pennsylvania to Youngstown, Ohio, via its home city of Pittsburgh.
Interestingly it never reached Lake Erie although it did become quite
profitable moving large amounts of raw materials, such as ore, coke,
coal, limestone, and steel since the railroad connected the once
sprawling steel network located in the region, particularly around
Pittsburgh. For much of its life the railroad was under the control of
the New York Central railroad but after the collapse of the Penn Central
in 1976 the railroad was spun off and for the first time in over a
century became a completely independent operation. By the late 1980s CSX
Transportation began using the P&LE’s main line heavily as a
through route and eventually took over the fledgling carrier in 1993,
operating it as the Three Rivers Transportation Company.
P&LE GP7s #1501 and #1500 are power for the railroad's local commuter service around Pittsburgh. The train rests on October 19, 1980 as it did not operate during the weekends. These two Geeps remained on the railroad's roster as long as it operated commuter trains as they were equipped with steam generators.
The Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad dates back to May 11, 1875 when a
prominent Pittsburgh businessman, William McCreery, chartered the new
system. However, the railroad had a very rough start and after two
years of little to show for in the way of progress (a single rail had
yet to be laid) McCreery resigned his position as president. After a
shuffle of leadership at the top of the P&LE construction began in
the late 1870s and by 1879 the railroad’s main line between Pittsburgh
and Youngstown had been completed. It was then that the NYC subsidiary
the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railway purchased controlling
interest in the railroad in 1880, which remained under NYC control until
the collapse of the Penn Central. Four years later in 1884 the P&LE had
opened its eastern extension between Pittsburgh and Connellsville,
Pennsylvania via the Pittsburgh, McKeesport & Youghiogheny Railroad,
which had been leased to it through LS&MS interests.
Five Pittsburgh & Lake Erie GP38s lead westbound freight LT29 across the diamond at Blasdell, New York on August 20, 1988 as a Buffalo Southern freight awaits in the distance.
virtually the extent of the P&LE, as its control by the NYC limited
its options to build and expand, along with the fact that profits ebbed
and flowed throughout the railroad’s life.
While the railroad was never more than a little
over 100 miles in length at its largest (the railroad did have a few
branches diverging from its main line including the Ferrona Branch,
Walford Branch, Lowellville Branch and Mahoning State Line Railroad
Branch), it became very famous for the incredible amount of tonnage it
moved, dubbing it the “Little Giant.” Much of this tonnage was due to
the fact that the P&LE was strategically located along many of the
busiest and largest steel operations in the country. Coal, coke, and
iron ore moved in large amounts over the P&LE and the railroad is
legendary for hauling these products with massive steam locomotives such as its small fleet of Berkshires (of the 2-8-4 wheel arrangement).
Into the diesel era the Pittsburgh and Lake Erie Railroad rostered an
eclectic display of EMDs, GEs, and Alcos (for the most part the
railroad used a simple black livery with yellow lettering, followed by a
herald of the company adorning the front nose or flanking the hood).
Diesel Locomotive Roster
The American Locomotive Company
2051-2056, 2057-2060 (Ex-CRI&P)
Steam Locomotive Roster
B-2 Through B-6
G-1 Through G-3
H-1 Through H-3
With P&LE GP38 #2028 on point and several Geeps trailing (one of which is an ex-Conrail unit), an empty string of coal hoppers roll westbound through Blasdell, New York on June 29, 1986.
Still, while the P&LE was part of the NYC and mostly hampered by any
type of expansion efforts it was part of one major project, co-owner
(with the Pennsylvania Railroad, and later Baltimore & Ohio) of the
Monongahela Railway, a coal hauler in southwestern Pennsylvania and
northern West Virginia. The Monongahela Railway dates back to 1900 when
it was originally created by the Pennsylvania and Pittsburgh & Lake
Erie as the Monongahela Railroad to build a line south of Brownsville
Junction (just north of Brownsville where the P&LE and PRR met and
the Mon’s main line headed south), following the east bank of the
Monongahela River to reach Martin, Pennsylvania, where the railroad
tapped several coal mines in the region. Interestingly, this line would
be one of the only rail lines built by the Monongahela as most of the
rest of its system was put together through mergers and buyouts of small
A P&LE SW1500, #1564, pulls a string of freight cars through the yard at McKees Rocks, Pennsylvania on March 28, 1991.
While the P&LE ebbed and flowed with the
demand for coal (being that it made up virtually all of the railroad’s
traffic) during its final years with demand for black diamonds soaring
the Monongahela Railway was quite profitable. Its end came as its owning
railroads began selling off their interests in the Mon. First, the
financially destitute P&LE sold of its interest to then PRR
successor, Conrail followed by CSX Transportation, successor to the
B&O a few years later. And so, full control was handed to Conrail in
1993, which slowly integrated the railroad into its system.
Bringing up the rear of a freight at Buffalo, New York on July 23, 1988 is P&LE bay-window caboose #503.
Even though the railroad was spun-off
following the Penn Central collapse in 1976 and an independent operation
it was running out of traffic as the steel industry slowly declined in
northern Ohio and western Pennsylvania during the 1970s and 1980s. By
1989 it wanted out of the Monongahela ownership in exchange for cash and
four years later was purchased by CSX Transportation, renaming the
system Three Rivers Transportation and still operates the P&LE’s
former main line today (but interestingly did not take ownership of any
of the railroad’s former rolling stock, which was slowly sold off).