While the Norfolk & Western Railway is best known for hauling black diamonds out of the hollers and hills of West Virginia it also had a modest, but very respectable fleet of passenger trains. Its flagship run in later years was certainly the Powhatan Arrow, a train that served Norfolk/Newport News and Cincinnati,
Ohio. This train pulled by perhaps the most beautiful and powerful 4-8-4 Northern
steam locomotives ever to enter service. Dubbed by the N&W as its J Class, these handsome streamlined machines were adorned in a striking livery of Tuscan red and black with gold
trim. The train operated until the spring of 1969
when the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) allowed the railroad to discontinue the Arrow. Its cancellation left just one long-distance N&W train still in service, the Pocahontas, which survived (via ICC mandate) until the start of Amtrak a few years later. For more reading and information about the Arrow please click here.
The N&W's City Of Decatur, the remains of the Wabash's flagship streamliner the Bluebird, departs Chicago's Dearborn Station led by GP9 #506 during a March evening in 1971.
The Norfolk & Western's merger with the Southern Railway
in 1982 was quite fitting due to both railroad’s similar style of
operation; extremely efficient and well managed. The N&W is
remembered as one of the most highly respected railroad companies in
history and for good reason. Aside from well-managed operations the
railroad’s property was meticulous and its equipment was always in
excellent working order. Of
course, from a railfan and historical standpoint it is remembered for many other things such as being the last
Class I railroad to operate steam locomotives (until 1960), its
symbolism with coal, and legendary photographer O. Winston Link whose black and white photos of the N&W's final years of steam are now considered all but priceless works of art (not only for the photography itself but also the historical images captured).
The Powhatan Arrow was interestingly one of the very first post
war streamliners put into service. Although it originally included
heavyweight cars it was entirely re-equipped in 1949 with
lightweight, streamlined equipment from Pullman-Standard. Also unique
to the train was its motive power. In classic N&W fashion the train
was powered by steam, not diesels. These J Class 4-8-4s were home
built at the railroad's legendary shops in Roanoke, Virginia and it
owned a fleet of fourteen built between 1941 and 1950. The train itself
was adorned in a beautiful livery of
Tuscan red and black with gold trim and carried a local Native American
theme. Aside from the N&W's high profit margin thanks to the
abundance of coal it transported, the railroad was also successful
because of its sound management
The N&W's Pocahontas boards passengers at the Petersburg depot led by GP9 #502 on June 14, 1970.
First and foremost it always kept its
physical plant in top-notch condition, pouring millions annually
into maintenance programs. Likewise, it was meticulous about
keeping its locomotive fleet and equipment in good running order. According to the N&W's 1950 timetable the westbound Powhatan Arrow (train #25), left Norfolk at 7:25 a.m. and arrived in Cincinnati,
Ohio later that night just after 11 pm. Overall it took the train
between 15 1/2 and 16 hours to complete the trip across the southern
Appalachians carrying an average train speed of nearly 44 mph (quite
fast, especially considering the terrain the Arrow was traveling).
(The below Powhatan Arrow timetable is dated effective April of 1950.)
Read Down Time/Leave (Train #25)
Time/Arrive (Train #26)
7:25 AM (Dp)
11:50 PM (Ar)
Petersburg, VA (Appomattox Street Station)
12:25 PM (Ar)
6:55 PM (Dp)
12:35 PM (Dp)
6:45 PM (Ar)
3:00 PM (Ar)
4:20 PM (Dp)
3:05 PM (Dp)
4:15 PM (Ar)
5:50 PM (Ar)
1:25 PM (Dp)
5:55 PM (Dp)
1:20 PM (Ar)
8:25 PM (Ar)
10:50 AM (Dp)
8:30 PM (Dp)
10:45 AM (Ar)
Cincinnati, OH (Norwood Station)
Cincinnati, OH (Winton Place)
11:05 PM (Ar)
Cincinnati, OH (Union Terminal)
8:20 PM (Dp)
Additionally, it offered connecting service to
Richmond (at Petersburg) and Durham, North Carolina (via Lynchburg) over
the Atlantic Coast Line. The Arrow continued to run the J Class steam locomotives
until the late 1950s when Electro-Motive GP9 diesel locomotives, equipped with steam generators,
replaced the Js. The switch to diesels is perhaps most
surprising in the fact that the Geeps were non-streamlined locomotives.
While utilitarian they were certainly not nearly as beautiful on the
head-end as those gorgeous Northerns and provided virtually no semblance of streamlining. Despite this lack of visual appeal the N&W continued to provide quality service for the Arrow.
The Norfolk & Western's Pocahontas is led by a set of GP9s as it rolls through Petersburg, Virginia on June 14, 1970.
The train followed a routing somewhat similar to the C&O’s George Washington (Newport News, Virginia to Cincinnati, Ohio) except that it ran through far fewer populated areas than the George,
traversing central Virginia, the southern fringes of West Virginia, and
southern Ohio. Because of this, by the late 1960s both it and its
sister, the Pocahontas were becoming increasingly less profitable.
When the U.S. Postal Service pulled its mail contracts around the same
time the N&W knew it was time to pull the plug. In an interesting
twist, the ICC allowed the railroad to discontinue its flagship Arrow only if it upgraded and continued to operate the Pocahontas. This it did and in the spring of 1969 the Arrow made its final run with the Pocahontas
following a few short years later when the N&W turned over all remaining passenger operations to Amtrak on May 1, 1971.