The New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway (NYSW), better known as the Susie-Q, is a 400-mile+ regional operation based in Cooperstown, New York.
The railroad has its roots dating all of the way back to 1881 when it
was created through the merger of several other smaller Northeastern
lines. Today the NYS&W operates between North Bergen, New Jersey
(near New York City), runs along the New York/Pennsylvania border, then
north through upstate New York connecting Utica and Syracuse (its lines
are broken down into the Southern Division [southern NY/NJ] and Northern
Division [northern NY]). Through the years the railroad has cut back
and abandoned some of its original routes. However, it still remains an
important railroad today in the New York area and retains its classic
yellow and black livery.
Susquehanna SD45 #3624 and C430 #3000 enter the yard at Binghamton, New York on September 29, 1990 with their freight. Incredibly, the railroad continued to operate Alcos throughout most of the 1990s.
The Susie-Q has had a very interesting past in its 125+ year history.
The New York, Susquehanna & Western officially began as a
culmination of six small railroads that had been hit hard by the
Financial Panic of 1873; the Midland Connecting Railway, New Jersey
Midland Railway, Northern Jersey Railway, Paterson Extension Railway,
Pennsylvania Midland Railway, and the Water Gap Railroad. These
companies dated as far back as the Hoboken, Ridgefield & Paterson
Railroad of 1866 and were quite small, serving primarily the region
around and just west of New York City in New Jersey and extreme eastern
Pennsylvania. The new railroad was to be called the New York,
Susquehanna & Western Railroad Company, founded in the summer of 1881 as a means of handling coal from eastern Pennsylvania to New York City.
Initially, the new NYS&W was planned to simply function as a
bridge line by not actually moving coal itself from the mines but using
the larger Delaware, Lackawanna & Western to do so. At Stroudsburg,
Pennsylvania the black diamonds were interchanged to the NYS&W and
carried eastward to New York City. This changed in 1892 when the
railroad's management decided
that there was more profit to be made in hauling the coal itself and set
about constructed new routes through the Pocono Mountains to do so. Up
to this point the Susequhanna owned a line that stretched from Hoboken,
New Jersey to Stroudsburg, as well as a branch never Beaver Lake
northward to Middletown. The new route, chartered as the Wilkes-Barre
& Eastern Railroad stretched westward from the interchange at
Stroudsburg to Kingston (near Wilkes-Barre) and Scranton.
The new route, along with the construction of new docks on the
New Jersey waterfront at Edgewater to export the coal, were opened by
1896. These new projects made the Susquehanna much more attractive by
other, larger railroads with its new, direct lines. As such, in 1898
the Erie Railroad began purchasing the NYS&W's stock
in large amounts and formally controlled the railroad by July of that
year. After Erie control the Susquehanna was not a well managed system,
particularly after the United States Railroad Association took control
of the entire industry with the onset of World War I in 1918. In
general the USRA did a disastrous job
with the entire affair (save for some of the universal steam locomotive
designs it oversaw) and the NYS&W exited the war in 1920 in
disarray with little money and a completely worn out system.
The Wilkes-Barre & Eastern had never been a particularly
successful venture, partly due to the fact that several railroads
already served the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre region. As such, it had little
to offer except its connection to the Erie at Middletown and DL&W
at Stroudsburg. These factors coupled with the Great Depression finally forced the NYS&W into bankruptcy
on June 1, 1937. After reorganization the trustee set to streamlining
the company. First, it became an independent system no longer under
Erie control and soon after abandoned the WB&E extension in the late
1930s, which was simply a money-losing line. This, coupled with a vast
reduction of its passenger services helped to buoy the railroad
(including the vast amounts of traffic during World War II a few years
At one time the "Susie-Q" rostered a large fleet of Alcos, like this C420 #2000 quietly sitting in the Binghamton yard on September 4, 1983. Today, however, the railroad has shed all of its classic Alcos.
When dieselization hit the industry following World War II the
Susquehanna was already ahead of the game. By 1945 it had completely
dieselized its locomotive fleet (the first Class I to achieve such
stature) and particularly liked models
from the American Locomotive Company (Alco), purchasing RS-1s and S-2s.
However, the 1960s found the railroad again in financial trouble. In
1966 it ended all remaining passengers services and in the 1970s it
lost a vital connection with the Central Railroad of New Jersey
following Tropical Storm Doria that washed out its line. Additionally,
the Penn Central collapse of 1970 did not help matters any.
By the time Conrail was formed in 1976 the railroad was up for
abandonment and was actually considering being shutdown and sold off
altogether. However, while the Interstate Commerce Commission
contemplated the railroad's fate it was purchased by the Delaware Otsego
Corporation in 1980, which had the capital to restored the company.
Throughout the 1980s the railroad rebounded from its woes a decade
earlier. In 1982 it purchased former lines of the DL&W around Utica
and Syracuse, New York from Conrail.
This created what is now known as the railroad's Northern Division in
New York (the "newest" lines operating from Binghampton to Chenango
where the lines split to serve Utica and Syracuse) and Southern Division
in New Jersey (this encompasses the original main line between Hoboken
and Sparta Junction as well the former Lehigh & Hudson River line
between Sparta Junction and Warwick that it purchased in the mid-1980s).
The divisions remain unconnected even today although the Susquehanna
does have trackage rights over the former Erie (now owned by
Norfolk Southern) between Warwick and Binghamton although this line is
operated by the railroad as the Central New York Railroad.
New York, Susquehanna & Western Locomotive Roster
2062, 2064, 2066
Ex-TP&W, For Sale
4050, 4052, 4054
On Lease, Stored
A pair of NYS&W B40-8s led by #4046 along with an F45 have an eastbound intermodal at Depew, New York on Conrail's Southern Tier on February 10, 1990.
Today, the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway serves over 85
customers and has a diverse traffic base ranging from lumber/building
materials, plastics, paper and chemicals to aggregates and food grade
products. The railroad also offers the option of bulk transfer
facilities. It is now larger, hauls more tonnage, and is more
profitable than it ever was at any point in its more than 130 year
history. For more information about the New York, Susquehanna and Western Railway please click here to visit their official website. You can also learn more about the railroad's history by visiting the historical society's website dedicated to preserving its past. The NYS&W's current roster is an eclectic assortment of
locomotives ranging from GEs and EMDs to Alcos (albeit all of the Alcos
are currently out of service).