The Pacific Electric Railway has its roots dating back to the Pasadena
& Pacific Railroad, which was opened in 1895 to connect downtown Los
Angeles with Pasadena to the northeast. The P&P itself was a
merger of two failed railroads, the Pasadena & Los Angeles Railway
and Los Angeles & Pacific Railway, which couldn't raise enough money
to pay its bondholders. Six years later the P&P came under the
control of Henry Huntington (the nephew of famed tycoon Collis P.
Huntington, upon which he received quite an inheritance after his uncle
passed away) and his newly incorporated Pacific Electric Railway.
Unfortunately for Huntington he would only have control of his new
railroad for a short time as the Southern Pacific took over the PE in
1911, which it controlled until the end.
Although Huntington lost control of the PE, the
railroad would prosper. Under SP ownership that same year on September
1, 1911 the PE grew exponentially by taking over several other small
railroads (coincidentally also owned by Huntington) in the Los Angeles
area. Dubbed the "Great Merger" the Pacific Electric instantly became the largest interurban in the world boasting a 1,000+ mile system! The PE's main lines mostly extended around the Los
Angeles reaching cities such as Long Beach/San Pedro, Redondo Beach,
Santa Ana, Whittier, Santa Monica, Glendale and others. However, its
vast web of branch lines served virtually every neighborhood and suburb
around Los Angeles and also stretched to such areas as San Fernando,
Alpine Tavern, Corona and the greater San Bernardino area.
Of course, during those days highways and automobiles were still in their infancy, thus for Los Angeles and its surrounding neighbors the Pacific Electric
Railway was the primary means of not only getting to and from work but
also traveling in general. For passenger operations the PE used a vast
fleet of street and interurban cars built by the Pullman Company, Jewett
Car Company, St. Louis Car Company, J. G. Brill and others. Bedecked
in a catchy bright red livery with orange trim the scheme became so
legendary that it lives on today under the Los Angeles County
Metropolitan Transportation Authority's light rail transit (LRT)
Despite the PE's vast reach and high ridership the
railroad still found it difficult, like with most interurbans to earn a profit through passenger service. Along with its freight business the railroad's most profitable venture lie in real estate,
which owned vast amounts of in and around Los Angeles. Unfortunately,
though, this was shortlived as by 1920 most of its holdings had been
purchased and developed. However, its operations did not peak until the
mid 1920s when its system stretched over 1,000 miles and featured over
2,700 daily trains. Unfortunately, from this point forward the PE found
it harder and harder to stay profitable, even with its freight
operations helping to subsidize passenger services. When cutting back
operations the railroad typically replaced its trains with buses and
this practice began as early as the late 1920s.
Even before the traffic boom of World War II hit the PE began scaling back its operations. The Great Depression hit the railroad hard and in 1938 it discontinued service between Whittier and Fullerton followed by Redondo Beach to Riverside
in 1940 and San Bernardino in 1941. After the war cuts continued as it
ended service on its entire Northern District in 1951, which included
Pasadena, Monrovia, Glendora and Baldwin Park. During this same time
the railroad ended service to Santa Ana, Venice, Santa Monica and the
San Fernando Valley.
Sadly, the famous Red Cars were rapidly disappearing and what was now left of the Pacific Electric's passenger operations was sold to Metropolitan Coach Lines in 1953 with the railroad focusing solely on freight services.
The MCL quickly began dumping the remaining passenger rail service to
bus operations. While the PE incurred the same problems as other
interurbans in losing its passenger traffic to other modes of
transportation it also suffered from a rundown physical plant and worn
out equipment. Unable to earn enough money to properly maintain its track and cars by the 1950s both were in desperate need of overhaul, which never came.
The PE itself soldiered on after it sold off its remaining passenger service and began converting its freight services to from electric to diesel locomotives. Its electric fleet had consisted of B+B 1600 Class "Juice Jacks", which became almost as common on the railroad as its famous "Red Cars".
In 1958 MCL sold off its remaining rail operations to the Los Angeles
Metropolitan Transit Authority (later known as MTA) and on April 9th,
1961 the last Red Car made its final revenue run on the Long Beach line,
the only remaining line still in operation (ironically it was the Long
Beach branch that first built by the Pacific Electric).
|This historic view, circa 1910, was captured along the Mt. Lowe Railway in California at the Ye Alpine Tavern. The PE acquired this small interurban in 1902, which had originally opened on July 4, 1893 as tourist attraction serving Echo Mountain and Mt. Lowe just outside of Los Angeles.|
Finally, the now freight-only Pacific Electric Railway was quietly
absorbed by parent Southern Pacific in 1965 with SP picking up the
remaining freight operations itself. Thus closed the books on
California's most interesting railroad that likely will never be
duplicated in terms of its scale of coverage for an interurban
operation. California's stance on passenger and commuter rail is
interesting. During the time of the PE's downsizing and
the state was more than happy to see the railroad cutback operations in
favor of bus operations. The 1940s and 1950s also saw the state rapidly
building new highways and a major reason for the Northern District's
total closure was because the PE did not want to have to pay for track
relocation because of new roadways being constructed.
Please Click Here To Return To The Main Fallen Flags Section
|A PE freight motor, steeple-cab #1624, is a bit rusty but fully operational at the OERM in Perris. It is seen here pulling excursions on December 18, 2011.|